Storing documents

Hi,
When i create a new document/project in Manuscripts.io, where is the document stored?
Is it stored on online server?
Is there a limit to document size?
Is the research data safe?

Regards
ROY

1 Like

Hi Roy! Great question. The data you edit in Manuscripts is stored in two places always:

• In your local browser’s storage. This is so that if your network connection drops, or if you for other reasons just happen to be offline for even a long while, you can keep editing without actually noticing anything but the “Looks like you are offline” toast message at the bottom of the editor.
  • On the fly, your data is synchronised to the manuscripts.io server so you always have a backup and can collaboratively edit with your collaborators or spin the document off on any of your devices.

So, all your data is always backed up to the cloud and available there privately to you and your collaborators, and available in your browser for offline support. The upcoming native macOS and iOS apps will work this same way, and will also allow optionally creating instead fully local documents that are not synchronised to the manuscripts.io servers.

For the geeky details, we use the IndexedDB storage system supported in all modern browser through the open source libraries PouchDB and RxDB.

Our own implementation of these behaviours is also fully open source, with the most relevant components being manuscripts-manuscript-editor, manuscripts-sync-client and manuscripts-sync.

1 Like

I am also concerned about the privacy of the documents we store in your cloud. Can you assure no one can access them?
An another question you left unanswered to Roy, is there a limit in document storage or in the size of documents?
All this makes me question how do you finance all this, are there any plans to start charging for this service?
Thank you.

1 Like

I am also concerned about the privacy of the documents we store in your cloud. Can you assure no one can access them?

Absolutely, your projects are private to you. There is no concept in the system even for publicly shared documents – when we do add this functionality, that will of course optional.

An another question you left unanswered to Roy, is there a limit in document storage or in the size of documents?

Sorry, indeed didn’t pick this one either above, got sidetracked with the technical direction I took the answer with :slight_smile: There are no document size limits at this stage. There are attachment size limits in place for technical reasons (10M, I believe). Naturally we will incur running costs from running the service, and it is possible that we would need to introduce limits / a paid tier. There are no concrete plans towards this yet. It is all open source, and we are also working on a native Mac app that allows also entirely local storage of documents, where content limits aren’t in the plans either.

All this makes me question how do you finance all this, are there any plans to start charging for this service?
[/quote]

Manuscripts.io is a product of Atypon.com, which is not that well known a company perhaps for researcher facing products, but is actually the leading content management system provider for publisher content management systems. We have various commercial uses for the technology built as part of this project in that space, and some ideas for how we might indeed monetise also the authoring product, but please be assured that sustainability is of course something we keep in mind, and the fact we are doing this in an open source project, including file format, the web based editor, native client apps, backend services included, should hopefully give clear assurances of our intention to do this without lock-in or creepiness :slight_smile:

1 Like