My old love gets a new life!

Your answers to the following questions really help us:

• What do you like about it?
    I love the concept of manuscripts and have been using it regularly despite the bugs. The web version looks great and is promising.

• What’s missing?
    I might have missed it, but I cannot find a possibility to change the reference style, which is very important when publishing in healthcare.

• What’s confusing?
    So far, nothing.

• What isn’t working for you? What should we change?
    When searching for references, I get inconsistent results when searching for the same keywords.

Hi @thijsbeckers – thanks for your kind feedback! Yes, this project is really in all honesty taking the lessons from the first go, and building a product with the kind of team size and modern practices that a complex product like a word processor needs. :+1:

I might have missed it, but I cannot find a possibility to change the reference style, which is very important when publishing in healthcare.

The reference style change workflow is going to ultimately be the same as in Manuscripts for Mac, with the inspector on the right. A really bare-bones version exists already and is made visible from the handle on the right-hand side. It looks like this:

It’s really basic right now, we will make a search and favouriting options available there.

When searching for references, I get inconsistent results when searching for the same keywords.

Do you mean that you write the same keywords and at different times you get different results? The search is done with Crossref so it’s rather unlikely it would be a serverside bug :slight_smile: We’re in need of some additional help to reproduce this though. If you can describe how to reproduce it, please do!

Also, I took the liberty to edit your headline cosmetically – hope you don’t mind, as we’re talking about the new rather than the old product :slight_smile:

Shure, no worries. The title is better this way.

The reference manager in the old version worked great, so if that will be the same that’s good.

About the different results, please see the attached screenshots. I get three results when I search within the word processor and I get several results when I search from the sidebar.

Ah! @aeaton, I can reproduce this too. Something different about the inline citation search box behaviour.

@thijsbeckers Thanks for the feedback on the inline citation search - this initial implementation is simply showing the first 3 results of the search as the space is restricted, but it obviously needs to allow access to more results, either with pagination or infinite scroll, and we’ll make sure that’s included in the next iteration.

Glad to know you liked the original reference manager, it certainly made it easy to quickly insert citations from your library, which is definitely also the aim here.

I have been playing with the app tonight and I’m pleasantly surprised. The features I need most function fine. I’m still a bit worried about reliability (don’t know whether that is justified), but I’m really looking forward to writing my next paper in manuscripts…

The share feature however does not work for me (it keeps on thinking…), but then again that might be a work in progress.

Keep up the good work!