Create Sections and Subsections with markdown syntax

• What’s missing?

• I think it’s interesting to be able to create new sections and subsections like in Markdown editors. When typing # as first character in a new line, the heading is created.

• Another feature that I guess will improve writing experience is to delete sections with only pressing the delete key on the keyboard, instead of clicking on the three-dot button and then selecting “delete section”.

What do you think?

Thank you guys, I’m eager to test the native mac app :star_struck:

What’s missing?

We’ve started tracking user made requests, both feature requests and reported bugs, over here:

There’s also this repository for issues that have to do specifically with the editor component that’s used in the app – this is described in more developer oriented level of detail:

I think it’s interesting to be able to create new sections and subsections like in Markdown editors. When typing # as first character in a new line, the heading is created.

This is something we experimented actually with the 1.x version of the Manuscripts for Mac app, allowing Markdown syntax to be “resolved” into rich text with a menu action. It may be something we bring into the new editor too in some form, though not necessarily in a form that will resolve the syntax on the fly (since that can start clashing in a rich text editor context with regular edits) but potentially behind a menu item / keyboard shortcut. Also, # as a character specifically has been something we’ve considered starting to use as a start for autocompletions for searching cross-references. But yeah, generally speaking the idea of allowing use of Markdown like conventions as part of rich text editing is nice and something we want to support.

Another feature that I guess will improve writing experience is to delete sections with only pressing the delete key on the keyboard, instead of clicking on the three-dot button and then selecting “delete section”.

Hmm, yes, good one. It ought to be at least possible to delete using the delete key or backspace when the section is empty. I don’t think it’d be a good idea to turn a section heading into a regular paragraph in this editor’s context, but in the empty section case I think you’re correct. I’ve logged this request as https://gitlab.com/mpapp-public/manuscripts-frontend/issues/13